[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Where to place preview.sty in RPM files and similar?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Where to place preview.sty in RPM files and similar?
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:40:50 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-04-17) writes:

> our last RPM files for RedHat have moved the LaTeX style files to
> /usr/local/ in order to avoid a package conflict with teTeX-3.0.
>
> What do you think we should do with regard to the files in the next
> release?
>
> a) place them in /usr/local.  Downside: /usr/local/ really is intended
> for the user, not for packages.
>
> b) place them to the side in the Emacs tree.  Downside: things will
> look different when using Emacs+preview-latex, or otherwise.

I suppose when you say "place them to the side in the Emacs tree" this
implies that they won't be found in a latex run from the command line
because they will not be in the paths of TEXMF.  For the RPM, I think,
this would not be desirable and I'd stick with /usr/local unless we
can find a safe place in /usr.