[AUCTeX-devel] Version string in TeX mode commands...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Version string in TeX mode commands...
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:53:36 +0200

Hi,

I will define TeX-defun in a slightly different way directly in
auctex.el.in or auctex.el, because this will buy us working
documentation strings even in unloaded AUCTeX sessions.  But this
obviously also means that the version info has to be be moved there.

Any proposals how to do that?  Since I am autogenerating auctex.el
anyway, we have the following options:

a) take the version string from autoconf.
b) insert the current build date
c) use the auctex.el.in checkin date
d) use the release number if a regularly exported release, use the
topmost date in the ChangeLog file if not.
e) Just go by the last ChangeLog entry (releases have special syntax
and can be discerned).

Point e) could possible get confusing in the final stage of a release
process: I usually move tags and rebuild and change and so on for
hours until a release actually is a release, and intermediate stages
would then be marked as releases.  With export tags, this is much less
likely to lead to false alarms since there is practically no reason to
export a tagged release with a specific tag unless one wants to create
a release tarball.  And those will not be handed round until stuff
works.