Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Key bindings for TeX-next-error

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Key bindings for TeX-next-error
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:38:12 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> As `C-c `' really is a pain in the, uh, fingers I finally want to get
> a decision on and implementation of a better key binding for
> `TeX-next-error'.
>
> In recent CVS Emacs the bindings `M-g M-n' and `M-g n' were
> introduced for `next-error' besides the traditional `C-x `'.

Not that I know of.  It was one of the main rationales for making M-g
M-g do goto-line, but the bindings have not yet been introduced
themselves.

> I'd be fine if we simply took the bindings for `next-error' and use
> them for `TeX-next-error'.  This could be done with something like
>
>     (if (featurep 'xemacs)
>       (substitute-key-definition 'next-error 'TeX-next-error map global-map)
>       (define-key map [remap next-error] 'TeX-next-error))

Just set next-error-function on Emacs 22.  However, I think it would
make more sense if we tried interfacing to
compilation-parse-errors-function in the long run.  I would not want
to hold up releasing 11.80 for that, though, as it seems a pretty
invasive change.  I think we should still release preview-latex
0.9.something before that as a last update before we attempt any
changes that won't work with standalone preview-latex versions.

> Problem is that this won't improve the situation for people using
> Emacs 21 or XEmacs.

Sure.  It will be as bad as the underlying editor.

> `C-x `' isn't really better than `C-c `'.  So we might still need an
> alternative binding here.  So far `C-c !', `C-c SPC' and `C-c *'
> have been discussed.  The last one was a proposal by Frank for
> jumping to the next warning in contrast to the next error.  He noted
> that jumping to warnings could also be achieved by prefix arguments.
> But I don't think that this is really necessary as one can enable
> "Debug Bad Boxes" which only makes sense if there are no errors
> anyway.

Most bad boxes are not related to errors, so it makes perfect sense to
debug them in one session.

I am not yet sure about the best choice.  C-c ! seems somewhat
natural, but it assumes that people are familiar with TeX error
messages.  And AUCTeX helps you not getting too familiar with TeX.