Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Key bindings for TeX-next-error

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Key bindings for TeX-next-error
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:29:07 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-04-22) writes:

> Ah, that makes me remember what has been the problem:
>
> (info "(Elisp) Major Mode Conventions")
>
>    * The key sequences bound in a major mode keymap should usually
>      start with `C-c', followed by a control character, a digit, or `{',
>      `}', `<', `>', `:' or `;'.  The other punctuation characters are
>      reserved for minor modes, and ordinary letters are reserved for
>      users.

Great.  What are other punctuation characters?  Are +, -, *, /, &, %
etc. punctuation characters?  It sounds like one is really limited to
the list shown above.

> It happens that RefTeX illegitimately steals C-c < and C-c > (which
> might have been choices for previous-error and next-error).

Yes.

> The question is whether we should really violate the convention here.
> Not that C-c ` is any better in that regard...

We are already violating the convention with `C-c .' and `C-c _' at
least.  We should not continue this tradition.  Lacking a good
alternative (e.g. I don't want another bunch of bindings with three
key strokes) I'd only make the key bindings used for `next-error'
available as proposed earlier.