[AUCTeX-devel] Re: make and stuff in autogen.sh

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: make and stuff in autogen.sh
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:12:40 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-04-28) writes:

> maintainer-clean is supposed to remove the autogenerated files again,
> so it will put us back at square one, right?

Yes, I noticed this as well.  See my other mail.

> And the current hack at least has the advantage that people can arrive
> at a well-documented version from a CVS checkout in a single step
> without having to figure a bogus configuration (and configure without
> arguments can easily fail if it does not manage autodetection, in
> which case you are left without the INSTALL file you need to figure
> out what you would need to tell configure).
>
> I am not saying that the current solution is pretty.  But it has the
> advantage that the process of creating the various documentation files
> is not duplicated across several different files, but is just kept in
> a single place, doc/Makefile.in.

Thinking about it, it is probably not much more bogus than the scheme
we had before; when only the plain text files where generated directly
from autogen.sh.  One could argue that the dependency on makeinfo
could be bad but this obviously hasn't caused trouble in the past.

You wrote that you want an easy way to set up a tarball-ready
directory.  And I thought that running configure and make distclean
would add an additional assurance that everything is in its correct
place.  Maybe sometime later we could add a distcheck target to do
such sanity checks. (see also the automake documentation)