Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Running out of time...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Running out of time...
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 10:17:09 +0200

[Despite your new mail in this thread replying to this one because I
already set up the reply yesterday but was too tired to send it off.]

* David Kastrup (2005-05-04) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I don't see how this is related to the doc string.
>> auto-autoloads.el contains the whole `define-minor-mode' call which
>> chokes on the variable used for the keymap.  I don't know if this is
>> a common problem on XEmacs but grepping through the xemacs-packages
>> directory on my system I found three spots where including the
>> `define-minor-mode' call is inhibited.
>
> I just _hate_ that excuse for an editor.  Seems like they did not
> teach update-file-autoloads about define-minor-mode.

In particular it's `make-autoload' which lacks this knowledge.

>> Here is one:
>>
>> ,----[ diff-mode.el.gz ]
>> | ;; XEmacs hack: autoload a dummy autoload instead of a minor mode
>> | ;;;###autoload(autoload 'diff-minor-mode "diff-mode" nil t)
>> | (define-minor-mode diff-minor-mode
>> `----
>
> I can't believe that.  Really.  Maybe they have just given up on
> reporting bugs.

Given up on reporting bugs?  Good joke.  diff-mode.el is
maintained by the XEmacs team.  Looking at the log for the file
in XEmacs' CVS repository it looks like they synchronized it with
the Emacs version and after that added the "dummy autoload"
themselves.

> Could you make up a problem report for our own case, include an
> example of what the generated autoloads in Emacs look like, and ask
> them what workaround they would recommend until they get their
> [expletive deleted] fixed, under the assumption that we prefer not to
> lose the doc string in the autoloads for editors which actually work?
>
> Is this with a current version of XEmacs?

XEmacs 21.4.17.

> Even if it is already
> fixed, asking for a good workaround for the XEmacs versions where it
> is not might be an idea.

`make-autoload' in XEmacs 21.5 knows about `define-minor-mode' and
Stephen made it quite clear in the past that stuff like that won't get
backported to XEmacs 21.4.  So I don't think they will change that and
reporting it to xemacs-beta would be a waste of time.  And the
workaround obviously is to define the autoload form manually.