Re: [AUCTeX-devel] multi-file support

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] multi-file support
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 15:14:43 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-05-06) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It's odd that you get asked for the master file if you use the menu
>> only for getting access to the documentation, for example.
>
> You don't.  Insert environments is a submenu.  Only selecting this
> submenu would ask the question.

If you want to reach menu entries below the environment submenus you
will normally move the mouse pointer from the top of the menu
downwards and thereby open the environment submenus (especially if you
are using a toolkit which does not have a delay on opening submenus).

>> Well, it lets the application appear indeterministic.
>
> Nonsense.  It asks information when it requires it.

Look, I am arguing from a user's point of view, not from an
application's point of view.  If a user cannot make the connection
between opening the menu and the need to update the submenu, it may
appear indeterministic to her.  But I am repeating myself ...

> Apart from which
> people are perfectly fine with indeterministic applications, or
> Windows would not have a market share of 90%.

Not an argument.

> This has been the behavior for AUCTeX from ancient history to 11.13 or
> so, and nobody complained worth noting.

Not an argument.

>> First, this will unnecessarily blow up the regexps for searching and
>> slow down font locking even further.
>
> The current slow down of font locking is not because we have too many
> keywords, but because there are bugs at the moment.  font locking can
> perfectly well support a large number of keywords, as a number of
> other modes demonstrate.
>
> And the right way of dealing with those bugs is not by crippling the
> font locking until the bugs become nonobvious.

Maintaining style-dependent keywords in style files was a design
decision, not a reaction to deficiencies of font-latex.el.