[AUCTeX-devel] Version numbers...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Version numbers...
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 10:43:36 +0200

After thinking this over, I have decided that the sanest course is to
release "standalone" versions of preview-latex with the version
numbers from AUCTeX.  It makes clear what versions belong together and
are more up-to-date than whatever else.  It also means that version
0.9.2 will not be released at all, but rather be 11.80.

What do people think with regard to tarballs: should we release
preview-latex tarballs at all any more?  I think it will probably give
a more sane message if we only provide AUCTeX tarballs: the only
people that should be interested in preview-latex-only are some sort
of package providers, and those should be able to survive the
additional download.  And they should probably provide AUCTeX, anyway.

Another thing I am wondering about is FAQ/README/INSTALL/whatever for
preview-latex.  Take a look at the current distribution directory on
ftp.gnu.org.  What is the most sensible place/naming for them?