Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Version numbers...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Version numbers...
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 15:54:14 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-05-09) writes:

> I have pretty much no control over the existing directory layout: any
> change except new files needs to get arranged with the ftp host
> maintainers manually, and every change breaks previously valid
> download locations.

Yes, I know.  There is an article about "Making Packager-Friendly
Software" at
<URL:http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/03/31/packaging.html>
which mentions this as a potential problem for package maintainers.
Once the files are up, you are stuck with their locations for years.
At least if you care about those people. (c;

> Rearranging the directory structure is not
> something I want to bother with for the impending release: there is
> quite enough to worry about already as things are.

Well, you asked about a way to deal with files in AUCTeX and
preview-latex with the same name.  Under the assumption of a
standalone release of preview-latex this would have been a reason for
starting a directory structure with release-specific subdirectories.

What I don't understand exactly yet is that you mentioned INSTALL, FAQ
etc. but were talking about the FTP server.  AFAICS the only files
with overlapping names here would be RELEASE and CHANGES.  The RELEASE
file will probably be one holding information of both AUCTeX and
preview-latex and won't be problematic assuming there will be no
standalone preview-latex release.  For the CHANGES file I'd probably
use a scheme like CHANGES-auctex-11.xx and
CHANGES-preview-latex-11.xx.  The package name could also be moved to
the front.

Now regarding FAQ, INSTALL etc. which are present in the tarballs.  In
case you are concerned that users won't find them, we could place a
notice in the top-level README file to look into the preview
subdirectory for this kind of information.  Or put a file with the
name PREVIEW-LATEX_DOCS_IN_PREVIEW_SUBDIR into the top level
directory.  Okay the name could use a hair cut.