Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Release schedule.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Release schedule.
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:34:11 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-05-13) writes:
>
>> At the moment I am not talking about optimal solutions.  At the moment
>> it is completely impossible to guess from our web presence:
>>
>> a) can I use my operating system?
>> b) what will I need to download from here?
>> c) what will I need to download from other sites?
>> d) will my version of Emacs support this?
>> e) if I have not already chosen an Emacs or are not particularly fixed
>>    on one, what would the recommendations be?
>>
>> All of this is, if present at all, scattered about the manuals,
>> mostly that of preview-latex, and some other files.
>>
>> But people need to know this before they start downloading things
>> and thinking about "maybe I should try this out".
>
> Okay, I quickly threw something together at
> <URL:http://www.iwi.uni-sb.de/angeli/misc/auctex/web/download.html>.
> This will have to be streamlined in order to present the information
> you mentioned above in a more structured way.  But what you can see
> on the page should already give an impression of where it is
> heading.

Quite an improvement.  Some notes: maybe the order needs to get
amended, first the requirements, then the download section.  Maybe it
would also be an idea to have some selector

    MS Windows
    MacOSX
    Fedora Linux
    SuSE Linux
    Debian Linux
    FreeBSD
    Other operating systems with X11
    Other operating systems

All of those lead to different recommendations (all of those have some
specific precompiled packages, some done by us, some by others), and
having them all on one page might be a bit distracting.

> We could also add a section about Mac OS.  But for me it is a bit
> difficult to gather the needed information about Emacsen (there are
> currently a lot of flavors floating around), TeX systems (gwTeX?),
> viewers (TeXniscope?), and similar.  Input on that is appreciated.

yaced.sourceforge.net is a bundle with a recent CVS Emacs, AUCTeX and
preview-latex.  I don't know whether it is fixed on a particular TeX
distribution, but that's not unlikely.  Of the precompiled offerings,
this seems to be about the best hit.  I'd be glad if we could offer
something as complete as that to the general Windows populace which
shows a certain tendency to act terrified at the thought of having to
organize something on their own, unpack, configure things or generally
get to see something as horrible as a command line.

>> Not exactly new.  The day we have an AUCTeX release without
>> specific XEmacs problems is probably one to mark up in the
>> calendar.
>
> 11.55 is doing a pretty good job in this respect.

Was there really nothing apart from the version number fiasco?  I
thought I remembered something else.