Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: SuSE users?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: SuSE users?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:46:18 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, May 13 2005, Reiner Steib wrote:
>
>> SuSE 8.2:
>>
>> AUCTeX files (from xemacs-21.4.12 and xemacs-info-21.4.12):
>> /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/info/auctex.info*.gz
>> /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/auctex
>> /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/etc/auctex/style
>
> SuSE 9.2 (from xemacs-packages[-el]; 21.4.15):
>
> /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/auctex/
> /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/etc/auctex/style/
> /usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages/man/auctex/ (*.texi  *.tex)
>
> I cannot find the AUCTeX info pages anywhere. :-/
>
>> Directories named "site-packages":
>> /usr/share/xemacs/21.4.12/site-packages/lisp
>> /usr/share/xemacs/site-packages/lisp
>
> /usr/share/xemacs/site-packages
> /usr/share/xemacs/21.4.15/site-packages/

Ok, thanks.  That more or less corroborates that site-packages would
be the right location to use.  At least something.  The current
package layout and names would be

auctex-emacs-standalone
auctex-xemacs-standalone
auctex-emacs-tetex
auctex-xemacs-tetex
preview-tetex

The XEmacs packages will install the info files into the package tree,
I guess, and place the usual capitalized README, INSTALL and similar
into etc/auctex, while placing all Texinfo sources into man/auctex,
and probably also preview.dtx, preview.drv and tex-ref.tex.

This looks rather impractical and harebrained, but it would seem to be
the general way to organize an XEmacs package.  Since the XEmacs
packages will not affect anything outside of the XEmacs tree, they
don't conflict with other packages, and we don't need any *-common
package.

preview-tetex will probably just contain the compiled variants of
preview.dtx: preview.sty (and its support files) and preview.dvi.  I
think the general rule for .dtx and .ins and so on is to require
people to look in the source tarball.  Of course, this is somewhat
inconvenient if you are not interested in AUCTeX and preview-latex,
but just in the styles, but I don't have a better idea right now.