[AUCTeX-devel] Standalone preview-latex...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Standalone preview-latex...
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:22:08 +0200

Trying to figure out a sensible directory organization for the
documentation files in a complete AUCTeX, and given that I already had
decided not to release preview-latex 0.9.2 as separate RPM or XEmacs
package to avoid confusion, I have decided to abandon the idea of
supporting preview-latex-only compilation.

If people want to do anything like that, they are out on their own.
What does that mean for the upcoming release?  preview-latex will have
separate manual sources for now, but the installation sections will be
folded into the AUCTeX manual.  There will be no separate README,
INSTALL and INSTALL.windows for preview-latex.  I'll try massaging the
sources in a way that will make it possible to pack all generated
documentation files into a single directory if desired (actually, I'd
also like the sources to be able to coexist).

Yes, this sets us back somewhat.  However, we just a bunch of core
changes, anyway, and this means that it would be prudent to give
testers another breath to test them.

I still have to do a few changes to preview-latex.  The most important
one (apart from the pending preview.dtx changes) is to force redumping
the format files when PDF mode or Omega mode or Source Special mode
change: the resulting problems when this is not done are non-obvious.

And I would like somebody to take a look at what is required to let
the experimental toolbar follow changes in, say, PDF-mode.  I already
proposed something like TeX-set-mode-hook or so that would get called
when modes change, but I have not looked at any actual code.

So I'll try fixing the code passages first, then do the slated
documentation changes.  I don't really see myself getting a good
unified package layout (for XEmacs, RPM, and as a recommendation to
external packages) without merging the documentation more than it is
currently the case.

It does not help that seemingly the GNU mailing list servers are
completely overloaded with the recent right-wing Sober spam load from
zombified Windows boxen in honor of the WWII end anniversary
celebrations and the upcoming Northrhine-Westfalia elections.  So I
don't know when this mail will reach anybody, anyway.