Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Regarding directory layout...

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Regarding directory layout...
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:14:52 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-05-18) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> font-latex.el depends on tex.el and is not useful on its own.
>
> Hm.  It contains stuff like
>
> ;;; Installation in non-AUCTeX LaTeX mode
>
> (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'font-latex-setup)
> ;; If font-latex is loaded using a latex-mode-hook, then the add-hook above
> ;; won't be called this time around.  Check for this now:
> (if (eq major-mode 'latex-mode)
>     (font-latex-setup))

This should probably be removed.  I just was a bit reluctant to do it
because it might come in handy if you have AUCTeX installed but only
want to use font-latex from it.  Although I don't know if this will be
possible at all.

> Now it may be that with the new scheme you can actually use font-latex
> in "native" latex-mode after customizing TeX-modes.

Yes, something like that.

> I am not sure
> whether we should bother at all.  And it would certainly seem dubious
> that TeX-esc would be set correctly in such modes.

It's not just `TeX-esc'.  font-latex.el uses other functions of tex.el
as well.

> What's the opinion of people that actually work with/on it?

We haven't had any complaints after introducing the dependency on
AUCTeX, so I doubt there are currently people using it outside of
AUCTeX.  At least a recent version of it.

> It's actually the same with bib-cite.el, but bib-cite.el is useful
> even without AUCTeX.  If we move it into site-lisp, we can almost be
> sure that it will get shadowed by other AUCTeX versions.

Hm, maybe the installation routine could rename an old version in case
it encounters one.  But I am not really fond of such solutions.