Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-commit] auctex tex.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX-commit] auctex tex.el
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 14:48:46 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> * David Kastrup (2005-05-21) writes:

>>> Uh, doesn't define-minor-mode already cater for that?
>>
>> The minor mode function defined by `define-minor-mode' is
>> overwritten by our own.  That means our function has to run the hook
>> itself.
>
> Seems a bit braindead, but I should probably not be the one
> complaining about it, having written it myself.  I am not sure that
> the technical necessity for having this function take an extra
> argument is still the same as at the time I came up with it, but we
> probably have enough other stuff to worry about.

Ok, to follow up on myself:

Whenever some 50 line functionality I write requires about 5 mails of
explanation until "well, ok, maybe it could work" is the result of the
discussion, the code is obviously unfit for maintenance.  Feel free to
quote this at me when I forget it.  Which I do quite often.

Since my AUCTeX is at the moment in a complete state of flux, I have
not been able to actually test the following patch, but I think it is
quite saner than the original.  The only problem I still see with it
is that "TeX-PDF-mode-on" should really be "TeX-PDF-mode-parsed-on"
and vice versa in order not to confuse people into using it.

If nobody has an objection, I'll check it in.  Even though it is late
in the run, the old code does not make sense.  And I am afraid that I
still have more invasive stuff to finish in preview-latex, so there
will have to be more testing, anyway.