[AUCTeX-devel] RE: [AUCTeX] Install report: XEmacs and Windows XP

From: Michael Forster
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] RE: [AUCTeX] Install report: XEmacs and Windows XP
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:29:47 +1000

Hi

David wrote:
> I think that your Perl does not recognize Windows line endings in
> ASCII mode correctly (those should be read _only_ as \n).
>
> >> Well, looks like \n is not a single character on Windows.  Does the
> >> following patch help?
> >
> > No improvement.
>
> Yeah, I was confused from the manual pages.  Seems like \n is a single
> character after all even on Windows

How about checking against $  ?

> [...] Replacing the whole AC_OUTPUT_SUBDIRS by a fixed copy in aclocal.m4
> would require that it does not use any non-dependable internals.
>
> I really have no good idea what to do about all of this.

Actually, this is not really a problem. This directory change is pretty much
the last thing configure does and it not even gives a fatal error message. It's
more like a warning and installation works anyways.

> > The error goes away if I comment out the
> >
> >     AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY(TEX)
> >
> > in preview/configure.ac. TEX is quotified two times, once in each
> > configure.ac.
>
> Oh good grief, it is actually passed as a variable into the
> subordinate configure?  In that case, _much_ more can be expected to
> go haywire.
>
> Seems like I should take a thorough look at what AC_OUTPUT_SUBDIRS
> does.  Maybe we really need to replace it with our own code
> completely.

I really think the problem is AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY. Using this, too much
quotification is inserted into variables. At the next unquoted (=incorrect) use
this goes away again, but quoted (=correct) use does not work any more.

Mike