[AUCTeX-devel] Two odd features with "new" installation procedure

From: Evil Boris
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Two odd features with "new" installation procedure
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:12:37 -0400

First time I tried the new installation procedure (CVS, autogen, combined with
preview).  Two comments:

0. ./configure produces the following error/warning:
configure.ac:139: error: possibly undefined macro: AS_HELP_STRING

1. After running "./configure" (with approximately right parameters),
"make install" fails with an odd error:  While trying to compile tex.el
(or maybe some file that does (require 'tex)) it complains that
AUC-TeX-version is an unknown variable.  Strangely, if I do "make" followed by
"make install", the problem goes away.  Is this a bug or a feature?

2. Finally, since I have always used (require 'tex-site) to load AUCTeX and I
heard that "auctex.el" is the new right creature to load, I stupidly put
(require 'auctex) in my .emacs, which promptly produced a complaint that
should be fixed, or should I just replace "require" by "load"?

Cheers,
  --Boris

PS. CVS of a few minutes ago
PPS. So I cannot count... :-)