[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] tex-5.502; TeX-command-list - renaming m

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] tex-5.502; TeX-command-list - renaming menu entries
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 15:43:35 +0200

* David Reitter (2005-06-07) writes:

> The command "open %s.ps" suggested to me that the PS file is shown:
>
>   (list "View PS" "open %s.ps" 'TeX-run-command nil t)

Where do you have this from?  This is certainly not AUCTeX's default.

> Of course, I added
>
> (list "View PDF" "open %s.pdf"  'TeX-run-command nil t)

If you bothered to read AUCTeX's documentation you'd know that the
right way to configure viewers depending on document properties and
output formats is by customizing `TeX-output-view-style'.  Of course,
this mechanism will only work if the default of "%V" is in place for
the View command in `TeX-command-list'.

> OK. Very slowly. The TeX-command-list documentation tells me that I,
> as a user, can set the commands to whatever.
> AUCTeX, on the other hand, suggests defaults for some commands that
> don't exist after such customization.
>
> I accept your criticism about my choices for the command names, but
> I'm sorry, if AUCTeX suggests defaults for non-existing commands, I'd
> call that a bug.

What do you expect AUCTeX to do if you hide commands from it by
renaming them?  It cannot do magic.  You have to tell AUCTeX the new
name of a default command in case you change it.  But I don't consider
it a good idea changing those names anyway, unless there is a very
good reason for it, for it may lead to confusion when communicating
problems and finding the cause of bugs.