Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] 2005-06-09; `make' tries to run tex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] 2005-06-09; `make' tries to run texi2dvi now on Windows
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 17:06:30 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2005-06-13) writes:
>
>> I would like to remove all traces of CVS from the tarball.  That means
>> that I don't want to distribute README.CVS and autogen.sh (and
>> .cvsignore files).  At the same time, I don't want to deliver a
>> tarball that is not a self-sufficient source in itself.
>
> I don't see a clear advantage of removing this stuff from the
> tarball (except for the .cvsignore files).  It makes the tarball a
> little smaller and removes a few files unnecessary for building the
> software but at the same time increases complexity of maintenance
> for the developers, unless, of course, the stuff in autogen.sh can
> be boiled down to something really trivial.

Well, I listed what it would boil down to.

I don't see how this makes maintenance more complex.  And it removes
some possible source of confusion for tarball recipients, while still
leaving them with recompilable source (I do not intend to remove
configure.ac or aclocal.m4).

> I'd just fix the `auctex', `preview', and `dist' targets in
> doc/Makefile.in, let the `dist' target in the top Makefine.in remove
> .cvsignore files,

I think that would be wrong.  "make dist" should not, I think, delete
files that are neither distributed in the tarball nor autogenerated by
any procedure from it.  I'd rather let the "tarball" target remove the
.cvsignore files in the _exported_ tree it creates.  Yes, using the
tarball _target_ will require CVS access.  But it should lead to the
absolutely same results if you start from a tarball, change things, do
"make dist && make distclean", then package the results.

> and merge the autogen.sh files.  But if you really want to go down
> the road of your proposal, feel free to do so.

Well, I am asking for input in order to figure out the best solution.
My proposal sounds sensible to me, but I am not sure I've considered
every aspect.