Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: A little suggestion about AucteX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: A little suggestion about AucteX
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:58:42 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Ralf Angeli (2005-06-27) writes:
>
>> Regarding the `tablecaptionabove' option of KOMA-Script classes this
>> will probably not be that difficult to implement.  We'll just make
>> `LaTeX-top-caption-list' buffer-local (as you already suggested) and
>> add "table" to it if it is not included yet.  This should be pretty
>> safe.
>
> It's more difficult than I thought.  You can't just add a
>
>     (when (member "tablecaptionabove" (TeX-style-list))
>       (make-local-variable 'LaTeX-top-caption-list)
>       (add-to-list 'LaTeX-top-caption-list "table"))
>
> to style/scrbase.el because at the time it is loaded the
> "tablecaptionabove" style might not be present.
>
> We could add the above code to `LaTeX-mode-hook' but I don't like to
> mess with it because it could make it impossible for the user to
> supersede the value again if necessary.  Another possibility would
> be to add a style/tablecaptionabove.el file.  But that's ugly as
> well.  Unless somebody has a better idea I'd spare this feature for
> the time we will have a more sophisticated style system.

Which is not likely to come into being just before the next release.
If somebody has a pressing urge to work on this right now, it looks
like he should do it on a branch, then.

What would we want from a nice style system?

a) be able to distinguish classes, styles, options, bib files and tex files
b) be fast (I think we should use hash tables throughout)
c) be mostly upward compatible...
d) have an easy way to keep additional info/tags around?

Is anybody keeping track of the "has to wait until a better style
system" type of wishlist items?