Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Tiny corrections to the manual?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Tiny corrections to the manual?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:10:18 +0200

Christian Schlauer <address@hidden> writes:

> I noticed two things in the manual:
>
> Number 1
> --------
> ,----[ auctex.texi ]
> | (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook #'LaTeX-install-toolbar)
> `----
>
> I've never before seen a `#' in an `add-hook'-line. Typo?

Nope.  'x is a shorthand for (quote x), #' is a shorthand for
(function x).  The difference is relevant only when byte-compiling,
and not when we have a simple symbol like here.

Still, I prefer adding this information for the human reader.

> Number 2
> --------
> David, you did a change to wininstall.texi on
> ,----
> | 2005-07-12  David Kastrup  <address@hidden>
> |
> |     * doc/wininstall.texi:
> |
> |     * doc/install.texi (Configure): Explain prefix a bit more.
> `----
> where you added
> ,----[ from wininstall.texi ]
> | Usually, directories like @file{man}, @file{share} and @file{bin}
> | will be situated right under @var{prefix}.
> `----
> This is not really true on Windows, see below which directories exist
> for both CVS Emacs and Emacs 21.3:
> ,----[ CVS Emacs (from <URL:http://nqmacs.sourceforge.net/>) ]
> | $ ls -p
> | BUGS    README.W32   bin/  info/  lisp/  site-lisp/
> | README  RELEASE.txt  etc/  leim/  lock/
> `----
>
> ,----[ Emacs 21.3 ]
> | BUGS README README.W32 bin/ etc/ info/ lisp/ lock/ site-lisp/ var/
> `----
> where `var' has been generated by AUCTeX.
>
> Maybe it is better if you pick bin, info and lisp instead of bin,
> share and man?

bin and info should be sufficient, I think.  lisp is not typical for
prefix.

Thanks,