[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fun with syntax tables

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Fun with syntax tables
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:09:56 +0200

Equally funny:

(with-temp-buffer
  (let ((my-syntax-table (make-syntax-table)))
    (modify-syntax-entry ?$ "$" my-syntax-table)
    (with-syntax-table my-syntax-table
      (insert "\url{foo$bar}")
      (goto-char (point-max))
      (backward-sexp)
      (point))))

This stuff is driving me crazy.  And it is defeating
`TeX-find-macro-boundaries'.

Verbatim-like constructs may be a good idea for processors like latex
or tex which can read the stuff from start to end.  But for editing,
where you have to look back and forth in order to find out what's
going on, this is a sheer nightmare.

Oh, that reminds me.  Does anybody like to hit `M-q' on a line like
the following?

\verb|aaa%bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb|
bar

Duh.  (Note that the latter is not a problem related to syntax
tables.)