Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Spaces in file names on Windows

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Spaces in file names on Windows
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:15:29 +0200

* David Kastrup (2005-08-13) writes:

> Maybe we should have some variable that tells us whether we already
> ran AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY?

Yes.  And even more convenient would be a wrapper for
AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY, let's call it AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY_ONCE, which ensures
that a certain variable is quoted only once.  AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY_ONCE
could maintain a variable holding all variable names which were
already quotified and only quotify a given variable value if the name
of the variable is not in the list.

It could look something like this (I know this is ugly as hell; so
maybe somebody with better shell coding skills can beautify it):

AC_DEFUN(AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY_ONCE,
[var_quotified="no"
for var in $quotified_vars; do
    if [[ $var == $1 ]]; then
      var_quotified="yes"
      break
    fi
done
if [[ $var_quotified == "no" ]]; then
   AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY($1)
   export quotified_vars=$quotified_vars" "$1
fi])

The variable holding the list of variable names (`quotified_vars')
should be available across AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY_ONCE calls but be
destroyed after the configure session.  This seemed to be the case
during my tests, but maybe somebody can verify this.

Using AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY_ONCE instead of AC_SHELL_QUOTIFY for
`packagelispdir' and `packagedatadir' in both top-level configure.ac
and preview/configure.ac suppressed the double quoting in my case.
The problem with `EMACS' persists.