Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: auctex.spec: auctex.el/preview-latex.el vs. suse-

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: auctex.spec: auctex.el/preview-latex.el vs. suse-start-*.el
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 13:47:07 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> I could build RPMs for SuSE and Fedora for 11.81 and upload them to
> gnu.org if wanted.  Or is there a plan to do another release soon?
> Then it might make more sense to do it only for the next release.
>
> BTW, despite of AUCTeX's tradition of surprise releases it would be
> nice to drop a note about an upcoming release on auctex-devel.

Oh come on.  It has been announced to be round the bend for months.
Just because you stopped taking this seriously does not mean it was
not meant that way.  And we had tended to leave "critical" changes
till "after the release".  It turned out less awful than the
corresponding release scheme of Emacs.

I don't think we have many showstoppers for the next release.  I'd
like to have the packaging recommendations actually match what we are
distributing ourselves as RPM, though.  We are not exactly setting a
good example with those.

So I think we should release 11.82 when we think it is sufficiently
better than 11.81.  Some filling/environment changes have been checked
in, and I have not yet worked extensively with them.  Also, there were
some suggestions made.  I think I'd like to see something like
C-u C-c C-]
which would close and reopen the same kind of environment (in effect,
splitting an environment).

I think that could come in handy.  I am often splitting macrocode
environments, and I'd not be surprised if people split math
environments not uncommonly.