Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Make TeX-insert-macro behave intelligently on \us

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Make TeX-insert-macro behave intelligently on \usepackage
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:16:46 +0200

Arne Jørgensen <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I should add the information that Arne has started the copyright
>> assignment process, and it is not the first project for which he has
>> done this.
>
> I received, signed and mailed back the papers today.

> First of all it would be nice if we could agree whether the general
> idea is good or not. That is do we want to be asked "intelligent"
> questions when we insert a \usepackage command?

I think it is quite in line with what AUCTeX tends to do.

> The next thing is how to implement it (is there a better way than
> what I did). Let me just revive in a few words what my
> implementation does:
>
> When doing a `TeX-insert-macro' (C-c C-m) with \usepackage it
> reverts the order in which questions are asked (now it first asks
> for options, then for the package name). The reverted order is used
> for loading the AUCTeX style file (if present) for the package and
> in the AUCTeX style file what options to ask for.

Sounds like the only sensible way to do this, anyway.

> An extension of the functionality would be to have the
> `TeX-auto-generate'[1] stuff scan for \DeclareOption and put those
> options into a list in the auto generated style file. This won't
> cover all cases but it is most likely the best we can do in an
> automatic process.

I definitely think this should be attempted.

> Since there hasn't been any comments so far I think it would be a
> good idea to just add my patches now (unless there is a release
> nearby) and then comments can (will?) show along the way. I suspect
> most comments will be regarding the amount and shape of questions
> asked about options. And that can be easily adjusted as we move on
> and so can adaption of more AUCTeX style files. I am willing to work
> more on this, but much work cannot be expected for me in the next
> couple of months (I'm working my final project and finishing my
> education).

Arne, as it looks a bit like there is not much other involvement from
people in this particular area, I think that by far the most
time-saving way for you to react to problems here would be if you just
got yourself a developer account for AUCTeX's CVS.  That would mean
that you need not propose and explain patches as diligently as to make
someone else feel comfortable applying them.

Would that be ok with you?