Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Make TeX-insert-macro behave intelligently on \us

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Make TeX-insert-macro behave intelligently on \usepackage
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:27:41 +0200

Arne Jørgensen <address@hidden> writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Thanks.  Caring for XEmacs-compatibility is actually a lot of fun.
>> After writing a really nice and clean chunk of code working in Emacs
>> you can be sure to have the opportunity to obfuscate it in all sorts
>> of ways to make it work on XEmacs. (c;
>
> Ugly it is.
>
> XEmacs apparently has nothing close to `completing-read-multiple'.
> Inspired by mh I have made a fallback to `multi-prompt'.
>
> It is ugly because when you have separated one option from another
> with "," you cannot go back and edit the previous option.
>
> Ideally an `auctex-completing-read-multiple' should be implemented to
> provide a compatibility layer to XEmacs.

That's not unheard of.  Not uncommonly, we have something like

(if (fboundp 'completing-read-multiple)
  (defalias 'TeX-completing-read-multiple 'completing-read-multiple)
  (defun TeX-completing-read-multiple [the definition stolen straight from
Emacs] ...
)

That way, once XEmacs catches up (at least if it catches up to the
right version), its own definition gets used.