[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Make TeX-insert-macro behave intelligently on \usepac

From: Arne Jørgensen
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Make TeX-insert-macro behave intelligently on \usepackage
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:53:47 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> * Arne Jørgensen (2005-10-11) writes:
>>
>>> The definition from Emacs would be all of crm.el.
>>>
>>> Would it be safe to
>>>
>>>   1. Copy crm.el from Emacs into tex-crm.el in AUCTeX
>>
>> I don't like such practice.  If we go further down this lane we might
>> end up shipping AUCTeX with half of GNU Emacs included and trying to
>> constantly catch up with it.
>>
>> In the case at hand I'd either use a similar (but functionally
>> inferior) function provided by XEmacs like `completing-read' or
>> would not provide completion at all.  Optionally upon hitting TAB in
>> the minibuffer a message could be shown that the user should think
>> about upgrading to GNU Emacs.
>
> That's a bit heavy-handed, I guess.  I think something carelessly
> modeled around "completing-read" should do the trick.  And of course,
> we should add this to the list of things why to prefer Emacs with
> AUCTeX.  I think it belongs in the FAQ.

The inferior and carelessly modeled solution is `multi-prompt' I
think. I already have a implementation that does that
(http://arnested.dk/filer/usepackage.patch).

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Arne Jørgensen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Would it be safe to
>>
>>   1. Copy crm.el from Emacs into tex-crm.el in AUCTeX
>>   2. Remove autoload cookies from tex-crm.el
>>   3. Do
>>
>>      (load "crm" t t)
>>      (unless (featurep 'crm)
>>        (require 'tex-crm.el))
>>   4. Then just use `completing-read-multiple'
>>
>> It is a lot simpler than renaming all symbols in crm.el (especially if
>> we have to follow updates in crm.el).
>
> No, that won't do.  We don't want to load stuff prematurely that is
> typically autoloaded.  So you really should make this depend on
> completing-read-multiple being bound (which it is, if it is
> autoloaded).
>
> And you can't use (require 'tex-crm) on a file that instead provides
> 'crm.  I'd rather say you'd have to use something like

You're right of course.

> (unless (fboundp 'completing-read-multiple)
>   (autoload 'completing-read-multiple 'tex-crm))

Simple. (But I would still have to remove the autoload cookies from
tex-crm.el, right?)

Now. What road to choose? I tend to prefer the solution with
multi-prompt because we don't have to double stuff. The inferior
usability of multi-prompt should be nagging enough (Ralf).

On the other hand since multi-prompt is part of AUCTeX choosing the
other solution we could eliminate multi-prompt and only have the
superior functionality of crm/tex-crm?

Kind regards,

     /arne
--