[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Make TeX-insert-macro behave intelligently on \usepac

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Make TeX-insert-macro behave intelligently on \usepackage
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:31:26 +0200

On Tue, Oct 11 2005, Arne Jørgensen wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>> We could try to convince the XEmacs guys to include `crm.el' in
>> `xemacs-base' or some utility package or distribute it as a separate
>> package.  Given that `riece.el' already copied (parts of? [1])
>> `crm.el' into `riece-complete.el' this would make sense, IMHO.
>
> At least for future XEmacs'.

If they put it in some package (this is what I'd suggest), the user
may upgrade this packages if he want this AUCTeX functionality.

> It does (except that it mangles the prompt a bit). Is riece part of
> an XEmacs release?

AFAICS, it's in the package "riece".  In SuSE 9.2 it is in
xemacs-packages-20040202.  AFAIK, the packages are independent of
XEmacs' version number.

> (and should we require an IRC client).

I don't think so.

In <address@hidden> you wrote:
> First of all it would be nice if we could agree whether the general
> idea is good or not. That is do we want to be asked "intelligent"
> questions when we insert a \usepackage command?
>
> I'm pretty sure we can agree on that (since nobody complained yet) and
> otherwise we could add a variable to disable it.

I think we should provide an option to get the current behavior back.
Things like these might be in the finger-memory of users.  If we have
this option, it could default to "intelligent" (using
TeX-arg-usepackage with `crm.el') when `completing-read-multiple' is
available and to the old style otherwise.

I wouldn't spend too much time trying to provide a better fallback for
Emacsen without `completing-read-multiple'.  YMMV.  I've send a mail
to xemacs-beta suggesting to add `crm.el'.[1]

BTW, when suggesting patches, I'd prefer if you post them on the list
(unless they are really big; you could attach a zipped patch) instead
of only providing an URL.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] Should soon be available as...
    http://thread.gmane.org/xemacs-crm-2005-10-11-a%40marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de