Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Troubles with AucTeX installation

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Troubles with AucTeX installation
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:43:13 +0200

* François MICHONNEAU (2005-10-13) writes:

> I'm a new user of EMacs and LaTeX, and I want to install AucTeX on my
> computer (under WinXP) but I encounter some troubles...
> I've ever tried to type the directory names with both simple or double
> quotes, with 'C:/' or '/C/' but the Install program returns me always
> the same message (see below). However, ChangeLog and configure are
> present in C:\auctex\...
[...]
> $ /C/auctex/./configure --with-emacs='/C/Program\ Files/emacs-21.3/bin'
> --with-textmf-dir='/C/Program\ Files/MikTeX/localtexmf'

You first have to change into the directory where the `configure'
script lies.  You can do this with

  cd /c/auctex

Then you can call configure with

  ./configure ...

Also, you should orient yourself on the examples shown in the file
INSTALL.windows.  That means, use --with-prefix instead of
--with-emacs, use --with-texmf-dir instead of --with-textmf-dir, and
don't quote blanks in path names if you use single quotes.

If you think all this is too tedious, you could try your luck with a
pre-compiled version of a CVS Emacs including AUCTeX available at
<URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/auctex/>.  But note that this is still
experimental.