Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Reopening environments.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Reopening environments.
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:24:11 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Anyway, it would appear that the info for bigfoot.drv is not
>> overwritten by that of bigfoot.dtx, but rather that for
>> bigfoot.sty.  This is all a mess.  We really should not strip
>> extensions when parsing style info.
>
> Then we will probably need to implement some knowledge about which
> file type to choose when loading an AUCTeX style file.

Sure.

> For example if the parser encounters a "\usepackage{kaboodle}"
> AUCTeX has to know that "\usepackage" means to look for a file with
> the extension "sty".  Similarly "cls" for "\documentclass".  And
> "\input" would be "tex" or the whole filename found as argument if I
> understand the definition in latex.ltx correctly.

More or less.  I don't know which of x.tex and x is searched first,
but that's not hard to find out.

I mean, this would work even under MSDOS, as there is no conflict
between auto/bigfoot.sty.el and auto/bigfoot.drv.el.  The automatic
file type detection would be thwarted by the stripping of .el when you
load it into your editor, but I think that is nothing that should
concern us.  Byte compilation could be dangerous, though, and should
be turned off on MSDOS for that reason to avoid file name conflicts.
Or we map this to bigfoot_sty.el, or auto/sty/bigfoot.el or
auto_sty/bigfoot.el.  And auto/*.el should probably searched as a
fallback so that we don't need to reorganize our own style directory.