[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Debugging LaTeX warnings

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Debugging LaTeX warnings
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:52:23 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Ralf Angeli (2005-11-05) writes:
>
>> The attached patch (against CVS) will remedy some of these problems
>> and do some more:
>
> Ahem, "... and do some more goodness" would probably be less
> misleading. (c;

Well, according to some recent thread on comp.text.tex or
de.comp.text.tex (don't remember which), most additions should be
considered the work of the devel, anyway.  Probably the patch would
have been more appropriate on auctex-devel.

Redirecting there.

I think the functionality is probably a step in the right direction
with regard to what the user wants.  But we need to fold the error
processing of preview-latex and AUCTeX at one point of time.  It would
also be nice if errors from AUCTeX could be flagged right in the text
in some manner, and preview-latex runs could make use of that: right
now preview-latex ignores TeX errors altogether.  If it detected them,
it could, for example, refrain from showing previews in the closed
form.  Some errors result in one-pixel images (like when math groups
get confused), and people wonder where their stuff went.