[AUCTeX-devel] Plea for help - anomalous AUCTeX behavior

From: Robert Knighten
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Plea for help - anomalous AUCTeX behavior
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:25:23 -0800

I am presently writing a mathematics book using AUCTeX.  Recently, probably
after upgrading to AUCTeX version 11.81 on Emacs version 21.4.1, I have the
problem that Emacs will suddenly and for very prolonged periods of time become
nearly unusable because of lack of response.  I will be able to type two,
three or even four lines of plain text (with no macros included) before
anything appears on the screen.  In case there is any relevance, this is a
Linux system (2.6.0-test9) using a 3 GHz Pentium 4 with 1GB of memory.
Once I start typing cpu utilization goes very high with top showing Emacs at
around 85-90% utilization.  Even after I stop typing the Emacs cpu utilization
remains at 85-90% for another five to ten minutes at which point it will
suddenly drop to 0!  While this is happening I can still use other buffers
with no trouble.  But the moment I start typing in the LaTeX buffer the
problem reccurs.

Sometimes I can solve the problem by restarting Emacs.  On occasion I have
been able to work on the book for an entire day before the problem starts, but
at other times it starts immediately.  Here is what I have in my .emacs to get
AUCTeX working:
(require `tex-site)  ;; so aucTex will work
(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
(setq-default TeX-master 'nil)
(setq TeX-insert-braces t)

;; enable reftex with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)

I am not using preview-latex.

Any suggestions about what is going on and how I can correct this problem will
be appreciated.

-- Bob

--
Robert L. Knighten