Re: [AUCTeX-devel] install AUCTeX as an off xemacs-pkg

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] install AUCTeX as an off xemacs-pkg
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:37:34 +0100

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>    David> Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
>    >>
>    >> No, I am not talking about the xemacs-package target I am talking
>    >> about the without-texmfdir target,
>
>    David> You are confusing targets and options.  It is quite unclear
>    David> what you are talking about.
>

> You are right. What I mean is, what target in the Makefile(s)
> correspond(s) to the option --without-texmf-dir (for the ./configure
> run)

Well, I mentioned several times that the Makefile target
"xemacs-package" is used for the configuration and building of XEmacs
packages and even quoted the respective Makefile rule in the last
mail.  I doubt I can be of much more help than that.

> I tried to run configure with and without that option and look at
> the diffs but did not figure out what ./configure with this option
> generate.

It is explained in the documentation.  I quote from INSTALL:

`--with-texmf-dir=/DIR
     --without-texmf-dir'
     This option is used for specifying a TDS-compliant directory
     hierarchy.  Using `--with-texmf-dir=/DIR' you can specify where
     the TeX TDS directory hierarchy resides, and the TeX files will
     get installed in `/DIR/tex/latex/preview/'.

     If you use the `--without-texmf-dir' option, the TeX-related files
     will be kept in the Emacs Lisp tree, and at runtime the
     `TEXINPUTS' environment variable will be made to point there.  You
     can install those files into your own TeX tree at some later time
     with `M-x preview-install-styles RET'.

Since an XEmacs package has to be contained within the Emacs Lisp
tree, you need to use that option, and that's exactly what the
"xemacs-package" target in Makefile.in does.