Re: [AUCTeX-devel] preview-latex, dvipng, and LyX

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] preview-latex, dvipng, and LyX
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:12:24 +0100

Enrico Forestieri wrote:
> What about freopen? I tested the code below under solaris, linux and
> windows with both mingw (gcc -mno-cygwin, really) and the
> free MSVC compiler. All tests succeeded!

Ah, yes, that would be a possibility. freopen, dup and dup2 is
reasonably portable in the UNIX world, although the ones you tested are
usually counted as fairly standard systems. dvipng (as distributed in
tetex) needs to build on other Unixes, for example IRIX, although I
think there won't be much problem with these particular functions; I
already use dup2 for the call to gs. Unfortunately my only way to test
this would be to release and wait for build failures to drop in (or use
an autoconf test).

Also I don't know how to do this in the MIKTeX environment, and the real
problem appears mostly there: in any fairly recent UNIX (as the ones you
tested) freetype or t1lib is available so there mktexpk never gets
called. Probably it is relatively easy to port it, but I'd need to rely
on Christian Schenk to do that.

Perhaps it won't be necessary at all, we'll see. But thanks for the pointer.

/JÅ