[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future AUCTeX distribution

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Future AUCTeX distribution
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:52:08 +0100

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> I think one important point is SUMO. Most users I know, (and who are
> not experts) usually will tend to the SUMO version.

Yup.  That's also what most OS distributors package.

> I agree with David that it would be ideal if the core auctex
> developers would control the version to be shipped with xemacs,
> because well they are the maintainers and the even have made the
> (nice) effort to produce a xemacs-pkg themselves (the only other
> lisp package) I know, which does this, is x-symbol (vm seems to work
> differently). I have not even participated in any discussion
> concerning adding that feature (generating the xemacs-pkg).

preview-latex has always installed itself into the XEmacs package
tree.  Installing into a separate place and packaging that place was
basically all what was needed apart from adapting the procedure to
AUCTeX.

> It is most unfortunate that xemacs, ui, pui does not manage 3rd
> party pkg, as does dkpg and rpm.

I was of the impression that one can deal with single packages, it is
just that the package browser will not find the packages on the
server, obviously.

Let me see: M-x package-admin-add-binary-package RET should probably
do the trick.

>    >> Whether tarballs should be available or not is up to Uwe,
>    >> mostly, and Norbert.
>
> However since I think that SUMO is important I will try my best to
> provide a sync with 11.82 and can hope that in the future things
> will be more smooth on my side (and that the structure of auctex
> will stay the way it is at least for the near future.)

Probably more or less.  We are not moving things around for the mere
fun of it: upstream also has a CVS, and moving is not really a nice
operation.