Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Cleaning functionality

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Cleaning functionality
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:25:02 +0100

* Reiner Steib (2006-02-07) writes:

> +(defvar TeX-clean-default-intermediate-suffixes
> +  '("\\.aux" "\\.bbl" "\\.blg" "\\.fot" "\\.glo" "\\.gls" "\\.lof" "\\.idx"
> +    "\\.ilg" "\\.ind" "\\.log" "\\.lot" "\\.toc" "\\.url")
> +  "List of regexps matching suffixes of files to be cleaned.
> +Used as a default in TeX, LaTeX and docTeX mode.")
> +
> +(defvar TeX-clean-default-output-suffixes
> +  '("\\.dvi" "\\.pdf" "\\.ps")
> +  "List of regexps matching suffixes of files to be cleaned.
> +Used as a default in TeX, LaTeX and docTeX mode.")
>
> Is there a strong reason to prefer defvars instead of defcustoms here?
> User's might want to add or remove some extensions.

I thought of these variables to be of rather internal nature, so that
we have a single place where we can make changes for the default used
in several modes.  Users can change the variables for specific modes.

In case we decide that it is more convenient for users and not too
confusing that there are editable variables which determine the
default value of several other variables while they can override that
default be customizing the specialized variables, we can "upgrade"
them to customization options.

> In my Makefiles for LaTeX, I also remove *.out and *.brf (generated by
> hyperref, IIRC).  I don't know if these should be added by default.

Feel free to do so.  It is likely that I forgot some more extensions I
am not aware of.