[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Installing auctex under Windows

From: nusret
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Installing auctex under Windows
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:47:51 -0800 (PST)

--- David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> nusret <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> There was a
> >> problem
> >> executable,
> >>
> >> Ralf?  This surprises me somewhat.

> > I first thought "the damn thing is not working!",
> but
> > with some effort and skimping the manual, tried
> that
> > and it worked ;-)
>
> Ok, if you used the standard XEmacs package, it is
> not tailored for
> Windows out of the box.  And the tailoring for
> Windows does not
> include a GhostScript override, I guess.
>
> Maybe we should add one? (Cc and followup to
> auctex-devel).

It doesn't matter to me anymore, as I already know how
to correct the problem. But you know the breed unix
guys call "windows users": I guess it would be nice
for others. Point is, I installed Xemacs for Auctex
(and installed that for preview-latex). Namely I was
new to all the suit. In case someone is like me, it
helps if one doesn't have to deal with such
annoyances. Besides, is there a version of ghostscript
with "gs.exe" (maybe cygwin?)? What's the point in
keeping the unix convention in this case?

> > I guess it has nothing to do with AUCTeX team, but
> > just checked my Xemacs, and it doesn't list
> "desktop"
> > package even in installable packages (whatever
> that
> > desktop package is: its name is not suggestive to
> me
> > at all..)
>
> I wanted to quote the relevant part of the
> documentation at you, but
> it appears that there is no such thing.

No problem, it's not worth trouble, most probably.

> I think it is part of the edit-utils package for
> XEmacs.
>
> > Anyways, I fell in love with preview-latex :-).
>
> It has been reported to happen on occasion.

Seriously, it's very useful dealing with complicated
math formulas. Sometimes I use LyX, but it has enough
little problems to put me off :). Auctex seems to be
what I was always looking for (of course with
preview-latex included ;-))

Regards.