[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] 11.82; preview-latex incompatible with e

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] 11.82; preview-latex incompatible with e-TeX's "-file-line-error" option
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 23:05:06 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> "Markus Ueberall" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> when using e-TeX's "-file-line-error" option, preview-latex is unable
>> to parse/detect the resulting 'error' messages.
>
> This is not an eTeX feature, but a web2c feature.
>
> tetex 2.x already had the -file-line-error option, but it left out the
> error context lines.  That renders the output unusable for
> preview-latex, since the error context lines are necessary for
> determining the error column.  Newer web2c versions seem to add the
> error context lines again.
>
> Could you try finding out which web2c version made the change of
> behavior?  When we add this functionality, it would be nice if we
> could mention in the docs for which versions of TeX -file-line-error
> leads to usable results.

I just checked in some code into the AUCTeX CVS that should deal with
file-line-error style messages in preview-latex.  This will not help
with AUCTeX errors, though, and I am not sure that it will work in
multiple-directory situations right now when the file names in the
error messages are relative.

It might make sense to try to propagate the respective changes, or at
least the patterns, to AUCTeX's error handling.

Takers?  Redirected to auctex-devel...