Re: [AUCTeX-devel] makeinfo --no-validate for CHANGES

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] makeinfo --no-validate for CHANGES
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 06:52:18 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, May 31 2006, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>>> +MAKEINFO_PLAIN=-D rawfile --no-headers --no-validate
>>
>> Why no-validate?  Shouldn't we rather fix problems than have them
>> ignored?
>
> It's only for the plain text output.  The generation of the info files
> is not involved.
>
> If we have @ref-s e.g. in changes.texi ...
>
> ,----[ doc/changes.texi ]
> | @item
> | The @LaTeX{} tool bar is now enabled by default.  See @ref{Running TeX
> | and friends}.
> `----
>
> ... we get an error unless we use --no-validate.  With --no-validate
> we get:
>
> ,----[ CHANGES ]
> |    * The LaTeX tool bar is now enabled by default.  See *Note Running
> |      TeX and friends::.
> `----

But the latter makes no sense in plain text.  It should be
conditionalized away with

@ifclear rawfile
@xref{...}
@end ifclear

And maybe get something more useful with
@ifset rawfile
See the info manual at ... for more details
@end ifset

But in this case, I think one can reasonably omit the reference in
clear text.

We don't want junk in CHANGES.  So I still maintain that no-validate
seems like a bad idea, since it stops us from seeing problems.