Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Information about RPM systems?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Information about RPM systems?
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 17:05:48 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 08 2006, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>>> In addition to the changes I've installed yesterday, I'd like to
>>> propose to add a directory argument for texhash/mktexlsr, see below.
>>
>> Not sure that all relevant teTeX versions grok that.  We are talking
>> teTeX 2.0 here, if not earlier.
>
> I checked this on SuSE 9.2 which has tetex-2.0.2.
>
>>> AFAICS, mktexlsr is the canonical name now, isn't it?  At least
>>> (info "(kpathsea)Filename database generation") mentions mktexlsr.
>
> The node in teTeX 1.0 / Debian 3.0 also mentions _only_ mktexlsr, see
> below.

While Debian is not really relevant for RPM building, it would appear
that mktexlsr with argument is likely to be available on every teTeX
based system we could be expected to support.

>> So I am not in favor of both suggestions out of the box.  I might
>> change my opinion on the first one if you do all the research that
>> makes sure that mktexlsr (as well as the directory option) is
>> available on _all_ systems still actively in support.
>
> Which systems (teTeX versions?) do _we_ try to support actively?  In
> general (for AUCTeX) and for the RPMs?
>
> Independent of the current issue, we might want to add this
> somewhere in our documentation.
>
>> I'd be too lazy to do that myself, as I don't see much benefit in
>> it.
>
> I installed our preview-tetex RPM on several machines today which
> share /usr/local (mounted read-only on the NFS clients).  On each
> client the %post directive complained about not being able to update
> /usr/local/share/texmf/ls-R.  I'm not sure if it's good practice to
> touch /usr/local at all (cf. FHS).

Well, I think your search makes it clear enough that we can use
/usr/bin/mktexlsr %(_datadir)/texmf
(if this is the right variable to use) in our RPMs.  Feel free to
make the change.