[AUCTeX-devel] auctex stops XEmacs under WinXP from exiting

From: Murray Eisenberg
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] auctex stops XEmacs under WinXP from exiting
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:34:09 -0400

This is from two postings to comp.emacs.xemacs...

I try to exit XEmacs 21.4.19 under Windows XP by either using the main window close button or menu item File > Exit XEmacs.
The minibuffer shows message

  No such coding system: iso-2022-8

and XEmacs will not exit. (The only way I can exit is by using the Windows Task Manager.)

Any ideas?

Here's [the relevant portion of] my init.el:

; AUCTeX for MiKeX
(require 'tex-mik)
; make AUCTeX aware of style files and multi-file documents
(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
(setq-default TeX-master nil)

; latex-preview for AUCTeX
;(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

By starting with a fresh install of XEmacs under Windows XP, I believe I've pinpoint the source of the exit error described in my original posting: It's after I install auctec (version 1.46), exit XEmacs, and restart it. Then trying to exit XEmacs fails.

However, if I now uninstall auctex, exit (using Windows Task Manager), and restart, I still cannot exit XEmacs normally: I get the same "No such coding system" error message, and XEmacs refuses to exit. This is even with all the auctex-specific lines in init.el commented out.
--
Murray Eisenberg                     address@hidden
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.