Re: [AUCTeX-devel] AUCTeX entries in etc/PROBLEMS (Emacs CVS)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] AUCTeX entries in etc/PROBLEMS (Emacs CVS)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:37:59 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> in etc/PROBLEMS of the current Emacs sources, we have:
>
> ,----[ etc/PROBLEMS ]
> | ** AUCTeX
> |
> | You should not be using a version older than 11.52 if you can avoid
> | it.
> |
> | *** Emacs 21 freezes when visiting a TeX file with AUCTeX installed.
> |
> | Emacs 21 needs version 10 or later of AUCTeX; upgrading should solve
> | these problems.
> |
> | *** No colors in AUCTeX with Emacs 21.
> |
> | Upgrade to AUC TeX version 10 or later, and make sure it is
> | byte-compiled with Emacs 21.
> `----
>
> I don't know if the Emacs 21 entries also apply to Emacs 22.  But
> probably we don't want to encourage people to stay with AUCTeX 10.x
> or AUCTeX < 11.52 anyhow (shouldn't this read 11.83 now?).

PROBLEMS is supposed to be about actual problems, not a wishlist from
the developers.  Ubuntu Dapper, for example, has auctex-11.53 as well
as emacs-snapshot.  Ok, we don't need to worry about that since any
changes to the Emacs-22 sources will not propagate into the Dapper
emacs-snapshot package.

> How about the following?

> ** AUCTeX
>
> You should not be using a version older than 11.83 if you can avoid
> it.  Older versions, especially AUCTeX versions before 10, lead to
> freezes of Emacs when visiting a TeX or didn't display colors
> correctly.

I think we can safely forget about AUCTeX 10 by now.  A file like
etc/PROBLEMS is read by perhaps 40% of all people at best (even though
we want to cater for them), and the remaining 60% have not reported
any AUCTeX-10 related problem, let alone pre-AUCTeX-10, for years.

I think we can consider that entry dead.

Perhaps we should add one for preview-latex and tell people not to
install it, but instead use AUCTeX-11.83 or later.  I am not sure it
has to be 11.83 actually: did we have any Emacs-22-relevant fixes as
compared to 11.80?