Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Toolbar-x development

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Toolbar-x development
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:53:17 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 28 2006, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> I can't think of good visuals for source specials and interactive mode
>> right now.
>
> For icons corresponding to the `<menu-bar> <Command> <TeXing Options>
> ...' toggles?
>
> source specials: maybe a left-right arrow between the glasses (which
> we use for dvi) and a text sheet?

While this sounds like something which could be hard to integrate with
the other icon details, I first misread it and got another idea: it
might be possible to place a connecting icon separator between TeXing
and viewing icon.

Something with transparent background (toolbar color), connecting the
icons before and behind it.  It would make no sense to click on it, I
guess, but maybe a tooltip could be displayed.

Ok, maybe this is a bit much to ask in the visual easter egg
department.  But it would be one idea.

Here is another: at least in Emacs, tooltips can be pretty much
arbitrary content, including images.

Maybe we should start (or end) the respective TeX, Quick view, BibTeX
menu entries off with the toolbar icon image?  That would be sort of
like a keyboard accelerator display.

> interactive mode: The TeX lion combined with a TeX prompt[1].  This
> might be too difficult to visualize.

How about a lion with a telephone receiver?