Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: An idea about a change:

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: An idea about a change:
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 23:49:37 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-08-07) writes:
>
>> Is this really cmd.exe?
>
> Yes.

Ok.

>>> rman, ngerman, french, loaded.
>>> (foo bar.tex (C:\Programme\MikTeX\texmf\tex\latex\base\article.cls
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> No pages of output.
>>> Transcript written on "foo bar.log".
>>

>> Or does the thing have problems opening \jobname.aux?
>>
>> What does \message{\jobname} report?
>
> foo bar
>
>> And is this different when
>> calling
>>
>> latex "foo bar"
>>
>> ?
>
> Yes, this reports
> "foo bar"

Oh, GREAT.  Much to my surprise, it would appear that MikTeX messes
this up instead of cmd.exe.  It could possible start working with
MikTeX 2.5 (if somebody else complained about it), but then probably
the -output-format thing would be working, and "latex" would use
PDFeTeX, anyway, and there was no need of TeX-DVI-via-PDFTeX.

> That means the former without quotation marks the latter with them.
>
>> Looks like the treatment of " is more similar than I thought.  Is
>> this really cmd.exe?
>
> Yes.

Well, it means that the spaces would not work with
TeX-DVI-via-PDFTeX.  No way I can see that work, short of
\def\jobname{"xxx uuu"}\input{\jobname}
And I don't really want that.