[AUCTeX-devel] switch-to-buffer should not record output buffer

From: Miguel V. S. Frasson
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] switch-to-buffer should not record output buffer
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:07:31 -0300

Dears from AUCTeX devel

I don't know about you, but I find annoying when I am working inside
auctex in some buffers (.tex sources), then I run latex, and a C-x b
gives me as default buffer to switch to the *<file> output* buffer
intead of the one I was working just before the C-c C-c.  Sometimes,
the files that I am working into are two separated projects (for
instance when I am copying an "introduction" from one document to
another.)

From the help on switch-to-buffer:

=== in GNU Emacs ====
switch-to-buffer is an interactive built-in function in `C source code'.
It is bound to C-x b, <menu-bar> <buffer> <select-named-buffer>.
(switch-to-buffer BUFFER &optional NORECORD)

Select buffer BUFFER in the current window.
If BUFFER does not identify an existing buffer,
then this function creates a buffer with that name.

When called from Lisp, BUFFER may be a buffer, a string (a buffer name),
or nil.  If BUFFER is nil, then this function chooses a buffer
using `other-buffer'.
Optional second arg NORECORD non-nil means
do not put this buffer at the front of the list of recently selected ones.
This function returns the buffer it switched to.

WARNING: This is NOT the way to work on another buffer temporarily
within a Lisp program!  Use `set-buffer' instead.  That avoids messing with
the window-buffer correspondences.

=== in XEmacs ===
`switch-to-buffer' is an interactive compiled Lisp function
 -- loaded from
"/usr/src/build/520286-i386/BUILD/xemacs-21.4.17/lisp/buffer.elc"
(switch-to-buffer BUFNAME &optional NORECORD)

Documentation:
Select buffer BUFNAME in the current window.
BUFNAME may be a buffer or a buffer name and is created if it did not exist.
Optional second arg NORECORD non-nil means do not put this buffer at the
front of the list of recently selected ones.

WARNING: This is NOT the way to work on another buffer temporarily
within a Lisp program!  Use `set-buffer' instead.  That avoids messing with
the window-buffer correspondences.
====

So we could just use the NORECORD arg.  If someone likes to see the
output, just switch to it (explicity) or use C-c C-l.

One point:  I remember that about two or three years ago I could not
use this optional argument in a version of XEmacs that I had installed
in my previous university. So if this change is done, one has to check
in which version of XEmacs the optional argument was introduced.

Regards

Miguel.

--
Miguel Vinicius Santini Frasson