[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Newbie Question: TeX-macro-global

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Newbie Question: TeX-macro-global
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:11:46 +0200

Bernt Guldbrandtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> Are the MikTeX binaries in your PATH variable?  Namely, can you open a
>> command line window, change to an arbitrary directory, and call
>> latex
>> on the command line without getting "Command not found" or similar?
>>

> I see the exact same thing. After updating to MikTeX 2.5 running anything from
> XEmacs under AUCTeX fails with the following error message:
> Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``latex  "\nonstopmode\input{test.tex}"''
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.5)
> entering extended mode
> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
> Babel <v3.8g> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation,
> ge
> rman, ngerman, french, loaded.
>
> (test.texlatex: Windows API error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume
> label syntax is incorrect.

I've installed a fix in CVS.  Unfortunately, the discussion leading to
it has been lost since Bernt chose to reply to me in private and I did
not notice he had taken the discussion off-list.

I would expect most systems to be affected where the path conventions
of the compiling and the running systems are different (in which case
the now removed option --with-kpathseasep will probably use a wrong
default for the runtime system).  In particular, this would seem to
affect XEmacs systems on Windows using the prebuilt package.  I have
no idea why we have not received problem reports about this earlier.

The changes are non-trivial, and unfortunately non-trivial to test
out: people compiling and running on the same side of the Unix/Linux
fence will likely not have seen the effect.

Maybe we should provide a prerelease of an XEmacs package to test for
people: this would seem like the most important use case.

Followups to auctex-devel.