Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: 11.84

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: 11.84
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:59:29 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-09-29) writes:

>> Uh, I hope that you just did not understand the change or my
>> description of it?
>
> I'm not sure.  Does one still have to change the version number
> manually at various places before making a release?

Yes, but at least the manual should now be catered for.  We probably
still have configure.ac, preview/configure.ac, RELEASE, auctex.spec,
tex-ref.tex, preview-latex.texi (though this will be gone when we pass
the recent AUCTeX manual changes to preview-latex).

I did not want to convert the preview-latx manual before getting at
least some feedback about the recent changes in the AUCTeX manual.

RELEASE needs to be rewritten manually each release: I don't see much
of a point just to change the version number in there automatically.

I can probably mess around with tex-ref.tex so that it gets its
version number from version.texi, but it is probably a bad idea not to
leave the file stand-alone in case people want to print it outside of
AUCTeX.  We could possibly do this via RCS version strings.

I don't see that we can easily put the version number into auctex.spec
automatically, and again, the file should remain standalone and not
include other stuff.

configure.ac and preview/configure.ac can probably be made to pick up
the version from somewhere, but it sounds like work and maybe a
hen/egg problem.  If RCS strings are to be used there, they need to
get manipulated exclusively by m4 as far as I can see: at the time
this is relevant, the shell is not yet being run.

>> The whole point was that now the version numbers
>> are automatically placed into version.texi without manual
>> intervention.  Doesn't it work for you?
>
> I haven't had the time to try it.

Ok.