Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: New auctex version coming, and the freeze

From: Frank Küster
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: New auctex version coming, and the freeze
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:05:06 +0200

"Davide G. M. Salvetti" <address@hidden> wrote:

> [This should be probably have been an off-list reply, but I feel the
> need to clarify the issue to all readers.  Sorry for the noise.]
>
> fant> As for the first issue, one particularly problematic point is the
> fant> overly broad anti-DRM clause.  FSF representatives have said that
> fant> they would not try to sue anybody for, for example, including a
> fant> filesystem with a GFDL'ed manual on it in a backup that gets
> fant> protected by a password.
>
> In this specific example, it is my understanding that if you do not
> further distribute your filesystem, there is nothing that a _license_
> can do to prevent you from including a GFDL'ed manual on a (private)
> password protected backup.

That was my understanding, too.  However the GFDL tries to do exactly
that:  In the anti-DRM clause, it does not talk about distribution, but
about copying.

> OTH, I do not really understand how would it be useful to distribute
> such a think without the means to decrypt the manual.

One means to decrypt the manual would be the DRM-enabled hardware.
Since this only allows viewing, it is not sufficient, and we'd like to
have a non-DRM-protected copy, too.  However, the GFDL doesn't allow
that, it just forbids using it on such a type of hardware.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)