Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Overhaul of error processing.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Overhaul of error processing.
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:26:00 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-10-16) writes:
>
>> tex-buf.el should now basically work with errors as well as
>> preview-latex (concerning file-line-error-style, file names with
>> blanks and some other things).  But I did not gave it really
>> thorough testing.
>
> So, the next step would be to eliminate code duplication by creating
> a unified parser used by both AUCTeX and preview-latex?

That would make sense mostly if AUCTeX was changed to do its error
parsing all at once (like preview-latex does).  Then one could put
clickable overlays on the error messages with markers pointing into
the source (so that the error positions are kept even when one is
editing in between) and little red dots in the fringe to point out the
error position.  And have a mouse-over-display of the error help, and
a context menu offering, for example, a jump into the log file as
well.

And maybe have an error overview mode where everything but the error
description is folded away, and an error following mode like with
grep.

I am not sure that unifying the parser would actually be easy and/or
worth the trouble.

At least the preview-latex magic dealing with ^^@ and similar quote
characters should at one point of time get its bowels moved into
AUCTeX, and have them used there for accuracy.