[AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] preview-1.277; Customization changed out

From: David Kastrup
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: [Bug-AUCTeX] preview-1.277; Customization changed outside custom
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:25:04 +0200

[Bug fix of auto-reveal-mode's default value which is dependent on the
 key bindings at load time]

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> "Miguel V. S. Frasson" <address@hidden> writes:

> determined by the keybindings at the time preview.el gets loaded.
> This is not really a good idea, though efficient.  It appears to me
> that the testing function is not called all too often.  So it should
> be possible to do the test in question based on the keybindings at the
> time of call.  In order to stay backwards-compatible at this time, I
> would like to avoid changing the API.  One possibility would be the
> following patch:
>
> If nobody complains, I'll likely check it in soon.  It certainly is
> less than wonderful, but I don't have a better idea.

Actually, one other idea would be to allow a numeric value for
preview-auto-reveal, and if it is set to `1', for example, open the
preview if the cursor travelled a distance of at most 1 when entering
the preview.

That would be essentially the same as the current default, except that
it would cover different distance-of-1 commands (like in viper-mode),
and that it would be quite more efficient, not requiring key lookup
(not that the situation is _that_ common or time-critical).

It would also mean, however, that commands which just _might_ end up
on the second or last char of a preview by accident, will cause the
preview to open.

What do people think? Worth an option?