Re: [AUCTeX-devel] User interface problem.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] User interface problem.
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:57:10 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-11-15) writes:
>
>> Maybe we should use something like
>>
>> (or (mailcap-mime-info "application/pdf" "print")
>>     (mailcap-mime-info "application/pdf"))
>>
>> to figure out what to use for printing PDF files?
>
> I'm not sure if I like the second part of it.  After all we already
> have a View command.

But our View command needs to deal with Source Specials etc.  I'd like
our default view command depend on such system settings, too, but I
don't see how we would work that.  Maybe by using something like the
first match from
"xpdf " -> "xpdf -whateveroption "
"evince " -> "...
to change the association to something more specialized.

It would also be reasonable for a user to customize his view commands
in AUCTeX to a viewer that sucks at printing.  If we try figuring out
what to use for printing, the system default seems like a better
start.

> But it's probably what the user did manually anyway if she received
> a message that printing did not work.  So, okay.
>
> I'm quite unfamiliar with gs, but couldn't we use that for sending
> something useful to lpr?

gs can be used to convert from PDF to PostScript and vice versa.  We
still need to have it in the PATH, there are considerations with paper
size, and I don't think that the availability of "lpr" is even half as
reliable as that of mailcap-*.

I should hope that mailcap-* would work on a straight Windows system,
for example.  Anybody try it out?